Trust Head of HR
Job description:To lead and manage the provision of the HR service to the academies within Altus Education Partnership (the Trust). This will involve working alongside the CEO in driving the alignment between HR strategy and business objectives across the Trust; and working in partnership with leaders, key stakeholders, and HR colleagues to shape, develop and deliver HR plans and solutions in line with the needs and priorities of the Trust.
Specific Areas of Responsibilities and Key Tasks HR Strategy
•Provide professional HR support and advice to the Trust Board, CEO, Heads of Academies and SeniorLeadership Teams in developing HR strategies.
•Provide support and guidance in relation to the creation and development of the Trust’s Business Plan.
•Ensure the design and provision of consistent, legally compliant, and best practice HR systems andprocedures for current and future academies.
Employee Relations (ER)
•Ensure compliance with employment legislation and Trust policies and procedures, minimising theTrust's exposure to litigation and employment tribunal claims.
•Lead in providing advice and support in a solution-focussed manner to all academies within the Trust,ensuring compliance with employment law.
•Attend on-site visits to individual academies within the Trust to support Heads of Academies, SeniorLeadership and/or panel on formal and complex disciplinary, capability, grievance, sickness absencecases, hearings or appeals.
Ensure the Trust has a proactive approach to absence management, providing advice, guidance and training to managers and providing timely sickness, authorised or unauthorised absence information/data to the Trust’s executive team and senior leaders at individual academies.
• Attend or lead in attending formal welfare and absence review meetings as required, to advise the academies within the Trust on occupational health recommendations, stress risk assessments, phased returns, and reasonable adjustments.
• Resolve ER casework including, where appropriate, negotiating and drafting settlement agreements.
• Liaise with the Trust’s employment law advisors and insurers as necessary regarding risk management, settlement agreements and employment tribunals.
HR Policies, Procedures and Management Toolkits
• Continuously monitor, evaluate, and review Trust HR policies and procedures, and management toolkits, including the range of template letters and flow charts for use across all the academies within the Trust, directing any actions and relevant changes.
• Ensure updated HR policies, procedures and management toolkits are available for the Trust consistent with the review cycle and changes in employment law.
• Ensure HR policies and procedures are clearly communicated and available to all members of staff across the academies within the Trust as part of their induction and at staff or Trust training events.
Recruitment, Selection and Retention
• Support the CEO and Senior Leadership Team by facilitating the interview and selection process for the recruitment of new senior posts.
• Support academies within the Trust and their senior leaders by facilitating the interview and selection process for the recruitment of new staff.
• Support academies within the Trust with assessment and evaluation of new job roles and grading.
• Manage and confirm employment offer letters and contracts that are issued on behalf of all academies within the Trust.
• Support the retention of teaching and support staff using innovative strategies and a consistent exit process across the Trust.
Induction, Talent and Performance Management
• Liaise with senior leaders to ensure new staff receive proper on-boarding to their role, team, and the wider academy.
• Develop and implement a talent management programme including career pathways ensuring teaching and support staff have access to training and CPD opportunities.
• Help encourage, monitor, and embed a consistent performance management framework across all academies within the Trust.
HR Training and Development
• Lead and communicate all internal HR specific updates to the Trust Board, CEO, Heads of Academies and Senior Leadership Teams and managers, collaborating with the Trust on training needs.
• Develop, facilitate and lead HR training and development programme for Heads of Academies, senior leaders, managers, and governors including delivering workshops to line management on managing absence, performance management, capability and disciplinary.
• Provide advice, support and coaching to support academy-based staff to ensure that they carry out their roles effectively and in line with best practice and employment law.
HR Reports, Compliance and Safeguarding
• Support the submission of statutory annual returns to the DfE, for example School Workforce Census.
• Ensure the Trust complies with its statutory responsibilities for reporting on HR/employment matters.
• Undertake HR record audits, advise on improvements and ensure accurate and up-to-date records are securely maintained on the HR system and are held in accordance with GDPR.
• Support the Trust and individual academies in maintaining the Single Central Record and staff safeguarding and pre-employment checks.
• Be accountable for the management and monitoring of the HR budget.
• Ensure HR reports and workforce data such as succession planning, staff turnover, absences and ER cases are available to the Trust Board, CEO, Heads of Academies and Senior Leadership Teams.
Payroll and Reward
• Ensure all salary and reward proposals are aligned via the correct processes.
• Manage accurate pay reviews and submissions to payroll for processing.
• Line manage the academy HR staff, ensuring the operational day-to-day support is timely, accurate and “customer friendly”, delivering on commitment.
• Work with the Trust Board and CEO in undertaking specific and ad hoc project work and programmes to contribute towards HR and Trust objectives to ensure continuous improvement.
• Assist in managing change to support initiatives and change projects such as TUPE
• Work with the CEO to progress the Investors in People standard
• Design company policies and initiatives that reinforce diversity and inclusion in the workplace, wellbeing of staff and engagement to ensure staff feel valued, motivated, and supported to provide outstanding education
£52,491 to £56,706 (points L4 to L7 on the SFCA scale)